Saturday, November 10, 2012

#22: "Eventide Sonata" {November 2012}


The design for the “Eventide Sonata” is called the 1600” or Jelly Roll Race quilt. It started as one, huge, 1600" long strip of batik fabrics and then folded in half, sewn, folded in half, sewn in half, sewn on and on. The fabrics for this quilt were a true spurge, and are all dyed batik fabric. I did another splurge for the backing and purchased a yummy batik for the backing that looks like it was made from the same dye lot as the front; pretty much makes this quilt reversible! The colors of these lines are so reminiscent of a sunset, that as I was working on it, I would put on various sonatas that reminded me of my Seattle home and quiet summer evenings on the water. This was an original attempt to do a free-handed quilted design, and in the end I backed out of it and decided on an echo pattern. I also found a beautiful set of silk variegated thread from deep red to yellow that shows up on both the front and the back of the quilt beautifully.

Size: 64" x 50"
Pattern: 1600" Quilt and/or The Jelly Roll Race
Fabrics: "Java Flame" by Timeless Treasures Tonga Treats Batiks - 100% Cotton
Backing: "Kapalua Batiks - Sunrise" Moda - 100% Cotton
Binding: "Hoffman Batiks - 100% Cotton
Batting: Pellon Legacy White Quilt Batting, 100% Cotton

No comments:

Post a Comment