Friday, March 8, 2013

#28: "Varen - Spring Time" {March 2013}


I am a sucker for 3 things:
  1. Beautiful fabrics
  2. Simple, elegant designs
  3. Ikea. Both my ex-husband and my current husband call me The Ikea Queen.
Not necessarily in that order.

When V & Co. came out with her fabric line called “Simply Color” I just pointed to the computer screen and whimpered at Steve. All of our funds were tied up in getting him the Service Dog. I put it on the “Please Father Christmas drop this in my stocking” list. He gave a delightful surprise of a Layered Cake, a Jelly Roll and a charm pack from the fabric line. After I stopped bawling at the fact that Steve got these for me, I sat and petted the pretties for a very long time. All the while looking at my Ikea catalogs and wishing I was closer to Seattle to get the furniture we need for our home and thinking about clean, modern designs to make this OUR home Then I saw a photo or something of a traditional quilt block but blown WAY up. The colors were clean, the block was traditional, but the way it was made was so modern; a stunning twist. Then it hit me...I could so DO that! After much thought and much wondering, I popped open my Layered Cake of the “Simply Color” fabrics. The rest as they say is history.

Please, enjoy the yummy fabric colors and designs. They not only have that Ikea feel too them, but they have been given Norwegian titles. In this case "Våren" is Norwegian for "Spring" like my yummy green mosses and gray skies of Camano Island. These quilts mean a LOT to me. Not only for sheer joy of getting of make something I’ve always wanted, but for the fact that they are are very much a reflection of our home. Oh and for those following the trail of what I was listening to while I quilted each quilt, this one got "The Water Garden" by Diane Arkenstone. The repeating echo's are reflective of this piece of music, making it a no brainer for this quilt.

Size: 36" x 36"
Pattern: Adaptation of "Giant Vintage Star" of a traditional Starflower block by In Color Order Fabrics:
  • Front: "Simply Color" by V and Co. for Moda - 100% Cotton
  • Back: Solid white - 100% Cotton
Binding: "Simply Color - Gray Ombre" by V and Co. for Moda - 100% Cotton
Batting: Pellon Legacy White Quilt Batting, 100% Cotton
Thread: AURIfil 40wt Quilting Thread

No comments:

Post a Comment