Friday, January 17, 2014

Happy First Birthday, Bentley


Happy first birthday, my sweet Bentley. You did it! You managed to survive a really reprehensible year. One year ago on January 18th, you were born in Wyoming into a horrid situation and managed get to yourself rescued thanks in part to a hunting dog rescue group. Little did you know that you would go from scrawny, barely surviving, lonely and scared puppy to a loud, always on the go home where you are loved, thriving, with someone, and now working towards a service dog job. Just within these few months of us being together you have taught me so much about myself and the way we can work together as a team. A few months ago, I sat down and wrote a letter to ask for you in my life. 3 weeks later, you and I found each other at the shelter. Your tail was thwapping against the cold, wet cement floor. Your eyes were so gold and begging me, “Hey, lady! Look at me! I’m right here! I’ll be your Forever Dog! Just look at me please!” Thwap, thwap, thwap. I could not NOT look at you! I circled the kennels 5 or 6 times; I kept coming right back to you. The folks that ran the shelter said you were an OK guy, very energetic, good with kitties (WRONG!) and needed a high energy dog/buddy to play with. Hey, lady! Please don’t let me stay here! Please I’ll be good! Look at me! Please I’m so cold and hungry! So you and I walked out together to play for a bit. You liked to play tug with me, you remember? I do. Your tongue lulled out and you looked like you were laughing. My heart was melting…hard. So then you and I went to meet Papa and Charlie. The nano second you and Charlie were allowed to go play, that was it. You had to be mine. But it wasn’t until the other night when I knew within my heart that we were supposed to be together.



It was right after you took off after the deer and Papa found you so very far away from me the other night. I was so scared for you, sad, upset, you name it. When you got back in the house you knew you were in trouble and the look on your face was one of, “Oh yeah, this is much better in here.” Latter that night, I had that night terror about being beaten up. You know, the one I usually have with the bottle being slammed down on the top of my head over and over? Then Papa and everyone else I love gets up and leaves me totally alone and I’m scared. Yeah, that one, except I woke up to you licking my cheek. I was crying, and you were waking me up and licking my cheek. When my eyes opened up you gave me one more lick and then curled back up on my side and forced your head under my numb hand and demanded pets, making the blood to move from my clenched fingers. You then began to snore your loud puppy snores, and I laughed to myself, allowing me take a deep breath. It worked. I was able for the first time in years, to curl up around you and go back to sleep and not get up and “forget” about the “dream” by doing something else starving my body of rest.


I know we have a lot of work to do, Mr. B., but I wanted you to know you are my Hero. You are really doing quite well at getting your Job, and even though we still have lots to do, you are a fast learner. You are starting to get used to not chasing Edelbrock, and last night was an amazing feeling being able to pet both of you at the sometime! I’m so glad you have Charlie as a buddy to play with and model from (even if you do like to use my bed as a trampoline!) Most of all, I want to thank you for your unconditional love and affection, even in this short amount of time. Thank you for your puppy kisses, the cuddles and the foot in my back when we nap together. You are my Rock Star, Bentley.
So, tomorrows birthday breakfast will be bacon and scrambled eggs with a hit of salmon oil and a yogurt/peanut butter/pumpkin cookie. Then we need to go on our Group Walkies with Charlie and Rockie and Legion. After that, you get to do whatever you want. Look at the difference one year makes!

Happy birthday, Bentley. I love you.

Momma







No comments:

Post a Comment