Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Fusion of Two Projects


So, I got in way over my head. Again. But in a way this was a good thing because it lead me to a very important situation.  This Yule, I received a fat quarter stack of Island Batik's "Courage" collection from their Quilted in Honor line.  The hope was that I would have time to make on of the quilts to enter into the contest and have it donated to a solider. Now,  I snicker not because of the whole giving it way thing, but because I apparently thought I was going to have time.  (insert laugh track here)
As I looked around to my friends who are soldiers, a good percentage of them received quilts through various organizations when they got home from OIF/OEF.  All but my husband.  He's never received one. At the same time I was pondering this, I came across the Gen X Quilters's Visa Versa BOM. Again, because I have the time, right? I'm also part of Canoe Ridge Creations Fresh Mini Quilt BOM and then there are those pesky orders that keep dragging me away from my dreams of doing a hostile take over of quilt shops that had managed to mess up orders or owners that rub me the wrong way.

So, I have a plan. I'm going to make Warrior Husband his own "Welcome Home" lap quilt using the "Courage" collection and doing the  Gen X Quilter's Visa Versa BOM. Kinda satisfy 3 things at once.  The quilt will go to an Army Veteran, I get to play with the BOM blocks and doing so will keep me on track with the quilt, and Warrior Husband finally gets a quilt by me no less!  SO I've already named it, "13 Bravo" which was Warrior Husband's MOS in the Army otherwise known as a Cannon Crewmember.  The Army definition is, "Cannon crewmembers work the howitzer cannons that support infantry and tank units during combat, and play crucial roles in the Army’s success on the battlefield." In other words he got to make a lot of really loud booms.








No comments:

Post a Comment